Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Playlist, Week of 2017-04-30

Naninai II.jpg

Really enjoying Ingrid Laubrock's contribution to Music for a Film That Never Was, an anthology of invited musical contributions to imagined films. I love the concept, and her "Mississippi" is a mysterious, undulating evocation of a watery realm, scenes taking place on sunken ships... The Tony Williams Lifetime is a group I wish I'd really gotten into when they were active. I didn't discover them until the '80s. I prefer Turn It Over because of the addition of Jack Bruce. I can hear a definite influence of Tony Williams on the drumming of Bill Bruford with King Crimson. In many ways Lifetime is like an alternative Crimson with more organ and less posturing... I need to go back to Yamataka Eye and John Zorn's first duo recording to compare, but it's hard to see how it could be any better than Naninani II... there's so much going on, it's wonderfully varied in both texture and mood, and it feels like there's less screaming (not that I mind Eye's screaming, but less of it leaves room for the subtle keyboard and percussion work that's going on)... I always listen a bit every week to stuff I've played on; not only does it help my analyze (and try to improve) my own playing, but I always find that there's so much going on that I've missed, whether because of being so much in the moment, or paying attention to one part over another, or due to placement in the room and differing sound levels... I particularly find this to be the case with New Ting Ting Loft improvisations, and last week's piece "Unsudden Settling into Grey Emotion" is no exception. For this one we tended to stay quiet for a good 20 minutes before breaking out the volume, which doesn't always happen... it makes for interesting textures and tensions...

Playlist 2017-05-01:

*Bloodcount: Saturation Point
*Anthony Braxton/Evan Parker: Duo (London) 1993
*Anthony Braxton: Trillium E (discs 2, 3)
*Stephan Crump/Ingrid Laubrock/Cory Smythe: Planktonic Finales
*Yamataka Eye and John Zorn: Naninani II
*Barry Guy New Orchestra: Oort-Entropy
*New Ting Ting Loft: 2017-04-10 "Swipe Out" (m4a)
*New Ting Ting Loft: 2017-04-17: "Unsudden Settling into Grey Emotion" (wav)
*Herbie Nichols: The Complete Blue Note Recordings (disc 3)
*Paradoxical Frog: 2011-06-10 Vision Festival, NYC (CDR)
*Various artists: Music for a Film That Never Was (streaming)
*Tony Williams: Spring
*Tony Williams Lifetime: Turn It Over
*Ahleuchatistas: Of the Body Prone
*Deerhoof: La Isla Bonita
*Steve Hackett: Voyage of the Acolyte
*Henry Cow: Cow Cabinet of Curiosities
*Andy Partridge: Fuzzy Warbles 5
*Andy Partridge: Fuzzy Warbles 6
*Various artists: Hot Women: Women Singers from the Torrid Regions of the World
*Various artists: Rum Punch
*Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention: Road Tapes, Venue #2 (1973) (disc 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment